Trojans Experience the Great American Eclipse

For some Trojans, Monday, August 21st, 2017, is a day they will never forget. For others, it is a day they might have already forgotten.

The Great American Eclipse passed over Topeka High on Monday afternoon, but many students  were disappointed when, after months of anticipation, their view of the coast-to-coast solar eclipse was blocked by clouds.

Some students drove north of Topeka to see the eclipse in totality, and many of them were rewarded with the view of a lifetime.

Senior Adreon Horn traveled to Walnut, Kansas to view totality.

“When it was happening and it was almost at totality, there was just this little sliver of light left, and that little sliver of light made all the difference because in about 10 seconds or so, the sky just went completely dark,” said Horne.

When asked to describe the experience in one word, Horn said, “it was just amazing.”

“It was definitely worth going out of town, because the next one is supposed to be in 2024 but it’s not going to pass over us so that’s almost like a once-in-a-lifetime experience, said Horn.”

Other Trojans, however, were not so lucky.

Marvelle Yates, senior, was at school during the eclipse. When his class went outside, he found the view underwhelming.

“I thought it was going to be way better than what it was, I thought it was going to be really bright outside, I thought if you looked into it you’d go blind, but in the end it was cloudy and you really couldn’t see anything. I looked at it with my bare eyes and nothing happened,” said Yates.

Students who stayed at Topeka High to view the eclipse were mostly thwarted by clouds, but there were a couple of moments where a portion of the eclipse could be seen.

The eclipse briefly becomes viewable through the cloud cover at THS. Photo by Heather Hooper
Teacher Richard Bolejack celebrating the solar eclipse with a space suit. Photo by Olivia Palma
A group of students awaits the eclipse at THS. (Left to right) Yadira Garcia, Arisa Ortiz, Beth Peterson, Dani Swarts Lilia Nunez-Espinoza. Photo by Olivia Palma
Totality passes over Walnut, Kansas. Photo by Rachel Stewart