Senior Student Government: Are they really the voice of the class?

Senior year is an exciting time for teenagers. Its full of college applications, acceptance letters, senior manhunt, and prom. The great thing about being a senior is the class gets to determine how some of the activities go such as a senior prank, if there is one, and senior t-shirts.

Over the summer the senior Student Government (STUGO) members asked for senior shirt designs ideas as well as senior women shirts on the class Facebook page. After about ten days, the voting began. In the end, the two shirts were chosen and seniors never heard anything else from the STUGO about it. Less than four months later Brooke Lynn Tilton, senior, posted on the class Facebook page asking when seniors were going to be able to order their shirts. Then everyone was told by Katheryn Gaito, senior STUGO member, that a new undisclosed design would be finished and presented to us shortly.

The news of a new design frustrated everyone; a design had already been agreed on. This is a repeat of last year’s prom fiasco where the class voted on the themes and everyone but a small few agreed “The Great Gatsby” was the perfect one. Sometime later, a completely different set of themes was presented because the one chosen was not liked by the prom committee sponsor.

The senior STUGO members need to stop changing the plans without notifying anyone prior, the senior class found a design that was wanted but the plans changed due to some unknown reason. Seniors deserve to know why the plans changed, and to have the option to get rid of the new design if they desire. STUGO is there to take the student body’s needs and opinions into consideration and represent  not take the student’s opinions and then personally make the decision for them as if they don’t matter. People in a powerful position should not be allowed to change the verdict because the seniors vote did not go their way. It is inconsiderate of the people of the student government.