Chain Reaction brings awareness to mental health

A poster hanging in the school for the Mental Health Awareness Night
Tom Teeter

An evening event was held to promote mental health awareness sponsored by THS Chain Reaction featuring student speakers, information booths, and the band Pegasi.

Angel Lang, senior, organized the event and originally had the concept to raise awareness of mental health in high school.

“I’ve noticed throughout my now four high school years, a lot of people struggle with mental illness. I have friends that struggle with depression, self-harm, suicidal thoughts and I just notice it a lot. Especially in High School because there’s so much stress and you’re trying to find yourself and it’s crazy. I just wanted to change that,”Lang said. “I feel like there’s a big stigma around mental illness, kind of taboo almost, and I think that with this event we can bring awareness that there’s help out there, there’ hope in recovery.”

The event featured four student speakers who reflected on their personal experiences with mental illness in their family or self. Several local and national organizations were also in attendance with information on treatment and awareness of mental health.

“We had four really awesome student speakers, and they gave speeches on how mental illness has affected them or how it’s affected them through a family member having it,” Lang said. “Then we had time after the speakers where people can go and look at vendor booths and resource tables. Valeo and Family Service and Guidance Center were there as well as NAMI (National Association on Mental Illness) and Christ First Counseling. They had information set up so people could go and talk to others and get information on treatment and help for themselves or others.”

The evening was rounded out with a performance by local rock band Pegasi.

“[The performance] went pretty well, we started a little rough but it all shaped up in the end and we had a pretty good set,” Reece Bartron, Pegasi lead member, said. “Lots of people from around town came, even students from other schools. I think [the event] touched a lot of hearts and really let a lot of people know that they are not alone and that there are lots of ways that they could get help if they ever have any problems.”