501 To Teach New Human Sexuality Curriculum

Misty Kruger, Director of Communications for Topeka Public Schools, sent an email to 501 parents on Thursday about a new human sexuality curriculum.

“Topeka Public Schools has partnered with Let’s Talk to provide a new human sexuality curriculum for high school students,” said Kruger in the email. “Parents are invited to a parent night to learn more about the curriculum planned for this semester. Students enrolled in the Physical Dimensions course will receive this curriculum.”

Let’s Talk is an organization based out of Lawrence. According to the organization’s website, Let’s Talk covers sexual education themes in 5 sessions.

“Helping people contemplate their personal values and think critically about their decisions using a wider lens of health engages people around additional critical aspects of sexuality such as consent, relationships, identity, pleasure, and comfort with one’s body,” reads Let’s Talk’s website.

Kruger’s email included three different dates for parent meetings about the new curriculum and also linked this video.

The first parent meeting will take place on January 15 in the Topeka High media center from 5:30 P.M. to 7:00 P.M. The second meeting will be in the Topeka West media center on January 22 from 5:30 P.M. to 7:00 P.M. The final meeting is  January 29 in the Highland Park media center, also from 5:30 P.M. to 7:00 P.M.