Students disrespecting authority

Teachers are facing a growing epidemic of violent and disrespectful students. Acting out in class along with verbally and physically harming teachers has become a problem.

Students get bored during class, not everyone is interested in math problems or the latest book assigned in English class. To fill the void of boredom they decide to make things “more interesting” and disrupt the class by shouting, distracting others, or disobeying a teacher’s wishes. Other students may do these things to try and intimidate the teacher, to be a bully and get a rise out of the them because they want to or there are personal issues that the student is having. These actions not only frustrate the teachers, but it causes distraction and keeps students from learning the materials in the amount of time given.

Aggressive students aren’t just produced by boredom, but their  home environment as well. Mike Hendericks stated in his article Teachers experience a growing number of angry, abusive parents “Today’s parents, educators say, are more likely to lash out with verbal or physical abuse over just about any type of real or perceived mistreatment. And not only in the United States. A 2011 survey in England found that one in 10 principals reported being assaulted by parents.” When children have role models who use violence or illegal behavior to solve problems, then the children will follow that same behavior themselves.

This lack of respect from not only students but parents takes a toll on teachers. Felicia R. Lee states in her New York Times article Disrespect Rules  “Every day, 6,250 teachers are threatened and 260 are attacked.” While this may seem like a small number compared to the number of teachers in the United States, it shouldn’t be that high.  When teachers are victims to violence, threats, and overall disrespect, it causes several problems for not only the teachers but for everyone.

According to an article published by the American Psychological Association (APA), violence towards teachers causes a loss in wages due to teachers taking off extra days to avoid hostile situations, a loss in instruction time, costs of medical or psychological care, worker compensation to be paid by the school, disciplinary actions for the student and possibly incarceration.

According to the APA, “The nationwide costs of teacher victimization to teachers, parents, and taxpayers are calculated to exceed $2 billion annually.These costs do not include costs to and incurred by those who commit violence against teachers, such as substantially higher dropout rates, government assistance, medical care and social services throughout their lifespan.”
Violence and disrespect against teachers is a problem that must be stopped. Everyone can do something to make sure that teachers aren’t victimized by their students. Parents can stay on top of their students behaviors, watch for any aggressive behavior and also make sure that their own behaviors set a good example. The student body can also help by not pushing any student to act aggressively towards  teacher and even encouraging them to stop if the situation arises. Everyone can help, friends and family members of students who seem to be struggling with behavioral problems need to make sure that the correct disciplinary actions are taken to ensure a teacher’s mental and physical stability, as well as the students.