The Tower

Mike Moustakas Returns to Royals

Photo found from following source:  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2736942-mike-moustakas-reportedly-re-signs-with-royals-on-1-year-contract-with-option

Photo found from following source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2736942-mike-moustakas-reportedly-re-signs-with-royals-on-1-year-contract-with-option

Nathan Swaffar, Reporter

On the night of March 8, 2018, the Kansas City Royals finally made the move to resign the club record holder for most home runs in a season for one year. The signing ends a long offseason for Mike  Moustakas, which included waiting, waiting, and more waiting.

Many Royals fans thought that the team would end of signing Eric Hosmer instead, but the money and the time just wasn’t right for KC. This opened the door for the Royals try to resign the third baseman, and keep some of the 2015 Championship core intact.

“It’s good to keep as much of core that they had in 2015 as they can, for as long as they can,” said sophomore Royals fan Calvin Heit, “I think it’s  good for the team for him to be around for another year, but it’s also good for himself because he use this year to build up his stats and get a better contract next year.”

KC resigned Moose for $6.5 million for one year, but has the chance to earn anther $2.2 million in performance bonuses. The deal also has the possibility of expanding to $22.7 million over two years if Moose and the club both decide that he is good enough for another year in KC.

The signing adds another chapter to a crazy offseason not only for the Royals, but for Professional Baseball. Before the Royals decided to sign Moustakas, they made a flurry of moves that consisted of signing first baseman Lucas Duda and outfielder Jon Jay to major league contracts, and outfielder Michael Saunders and pitcher Ricky Nolasco to minor league contracts

“It’s defiantly good for him because he’s been on the free agent list forever,” said history teacher Jason Drinkard, “And I think it’s good for the Royals because they’ve lost two (Eric Hosmer and Lorenzo Cain) of the big fan favorites, they still have Alex Gordon and still, but I think all around it’s good and hopefully he can have an outstanding year.”

The Royals will have a much different look coming into the 2018 season. There are still positions that are unknown who will be the main guy. First base is still up in the air, along with center and right field and designated hitter. Whoever is on the team, many Royals fans will be happy that one of the core pieces to the 2015 Championship team is back and ready to help the Royals in any way he can.