“She Kills Monsters” Underclassmen Play Preview

“She Kills Monsters” is the underclassmen play coming to Topeka High this November about a typical teenage girl, Agnes (Ann Beall, sophomore) and her adventure through the Dungeons and Dragons world to find her lost sister, Tilly (Venita Large, sophomore).

Nerdy culture is a very large component of the play. “It’s a super fun take on geekery which is super in right now,” says Amanda Porter, the director of the play. “It used to not be fashionable to be into dungeons and dragons and role playing and larping and video games, but it is now. It’s got a lot of elements that students can relate to and understand.”

The effects and props used in the show are very interesting. For example, there’s a scene in which an evil fairy is hit with a big, blue, sparkly, magic missile and explodes into a mess of gore and dismembered body parts. The costumes are also very interesting. One of the characters in the play, an axe wielding cannibal, is dressed in some very revealing battle armor.

“She Kills Monsters” is full of great jokes and adult humor. There are jokes about everything from Dungeons and Dragons to popular culture.

Agnes and her party of fighters are constantly running into trouble. They come across evil fairies, monsters, dragons and more. The actresses and actors seem to be having a blast during fight scenes, slaying everything that moves.

Everyone involved with the play is very passionate that students go see it. “I think it’ll be a lot of fun,” Large says. “There are some great fight scenes and a lot of people die.” “She Kills Monsters” is showing November 2, 3 and 4 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium.