Student run talent show begins planning

Aja Gamble and Shaayli Walker are both seniors who have been involved with the arts for many years

After a late start to the annual student run talent show, Aja Gamble and Shaayli Walker, seniors, have decided to take the role as the student directors.

The show will be held from November 16-18 at 7 p.m. featuring the theme, “We’re Better Together.” The directors chose this idea to promote the vast diversity the school holds.

“This theme celebrates Topeka High’s diversity among race, religion, sexuality, and talents,” Gamble said.

Auditions for individual and group performances are being held this week and will lead into next week. The show had a struggling start to this year’s annual show with no senior’s stepping up to take the leadership position.

“When I heard no one else volunteered [to be a director] and that there might not be an SRO this year I asked to help out and ended up being co-director,” Walker said.

One aspect of the talent show or SRO is the emcee’s who narrate and perform acts between each talent. Adreon Horn, senior, is the emcee director and is excited about being able to arrange the other emcee’s duties.

“It is fun coming up with skits and enjoying each others company,” Horn said.

Although the time planning and preparing for the show becomes very stressful for the students involved, for many of them the end product is beyond worth it.

“SRO is a good experience. It gives students the opportunity to build something from scratch together,” Gamble said. “It depicts what it’s like to take charge and make something happen while entertaining the student body and showing our skills.”