Important Winter Semi-Formal Update

Olivia Watson

(Left to right) Sophomores, Katie Fitzgerald, Rose Pennington, Ann Beall, and Yadira Garcia dance at the 2016 Winter Semi-formal.

The 2017-18 winter semi-formal is breaking from tradition with a significant change in scheduling.

The dance was originally planned for December 2nd but has been rescheduled to January 6th. This change was pushed through by student government due to complaints from many members of the student body.

Julia Howell, all school president, was a part of the efforts to shift the dance date.

“Since my freshmen year, I heard complaints about the date being so late in the semester around the holidays, finals and end of semester events. We are one of the only schools in the Topeka area who has a dance in December and we have always had low attendanceĀ at this dance. So we decided to try something new in hopes that more of the student body population could attend and they would have less stress about attending with time over break to prepare for the dance,” Howell said. “So far we have had little complaints [about the change] and are excited to see the outcome. Everything we do is to benefit the student body and this is one idea that we are hoping does exactly that.”