THS Student Section Spreads Spirit

Students cheer on the football team at the first game of the season at Hayden High School. Photo credit: Craig Strever

Topeka High’s student section is making a big impact at football games this year, all thanks to the senior leaders who have worked hard to organize themes, start cheers, and spread spirit. Their ultimate goal? To encourage and support the Trojan football players out on the field. Ingrid Bruss, senior and passionate student section member, answers a few questions about our very own spirit section.

“As seniors, we are expected to lead the cheers, make sure everyone is included, and keep everything safe and under control,” Bruss said. “I think the football team plays harder knowing their peers are at the game watching, and they get more excited when we are being really loud and cheering like crazy.”

The student section is using thunder sticks at home games to create as much noise as possible, along with the usual cheering and stomping. The football team responds well to their excitement, and players often interact with the student section to encourage them to keep the energy up.

“Having people there cheering the team on is definitely very encouraging for them,” Bruss said. “Our presence lets them know they are completely supported by the student body.”

With a multitude of cheers to choose from, it is hard to pick just one as a favorite. Students enjoy traditional chants as well as humorous ones such as Hey Burrito.

“My favorite cheer that we do is either We Got Spirit or Lean.” Bruss said.