Students Prepare for School Wide March

Students hold up posters made during an after school poster party. Each sign promoting racial equality in school and in our community.

Julia Howell

Each year the YWCA organization has a national day bringing awareness to racism issues in our communities. This year the school’s student government will get involved by participating in a march that will start at the school and end at the capital. The march is planned to be on April 28th at three in the afternoon.

Coordinators working directly with the students at the school are Joan Wagon, Interim CEO of the YWCA of Northeast Kansas and Hannah Figgs, Shelter Manager. Both contacted the school’s student government in hopes that his event would have a great effect on the community.

“We know that young people in this community are effected by racism and we believe that the youth of Topeka has the power to be the generation that makes meaningful change,” Figgs said.

This yearly event is nation wide and the slogan is ‘On A Mission for Girls of Color’. Places all over the country take part in this opportunity by doing various different events. The goal being everywhere to bring attention to racial inequality in local neighborhoods.

“The Stand Against Racism day is an opportunity to ask people to think about the detrimental effects of racism on society and those around us,” Wagon said. “We hope it changes behaviors.”

Students have gotten involved by making posters and planning the event. Starlette Blanshan, sophomore feels this event is especially important for students of this school.

“Even as a student who attends Topeka High, one of the most diverse schools in Kansas we still see race issues,” Blanshan said. “It’s still a prevalent problem that needs to be addressed.”

Many community leaders have been invited so that others can see the importance behind the issue. Students involved wish that people will see this event as a way to start a conversation on the racial inequality issues that still exist.

“[I hope] people will take time to think about and open dialog about race issues,” Bannon Beall, sophomore said.

Students work on poster with the theme of racial equality in communities. These signs will be carried from the school to the capital on April 28th