Student selected for national journalism conference

Adam Cole, editor and chief of the World newspaper was chosen to be the representative for the state of Kansas at the Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Journalism Conference in Washington DC.

This morning Adam Cole, the editor and chief of the school’s newspaper received the news that he had been chosen to represent Kansas for the Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Journalism Conference. Cole was the only journalism student in the state to be chosen for this opportunity.

To be considered for this event applicant must be a junior in high school, committed to a career in journalism and be considered as a “free spirit”. Cole will receive an all expense paid trip to Washington DC where he will take part in the conference sponsored by the Newseum Institute.

“I am honestly really honored to be considered for the Kansas delegate for the conference,” Cole said.

At the conference, Cole will be working with 50 students from other states and collaborating with leading media professionals. He will also be receiving $1,000 college scholarship.

“That’s [scholarship] probably one of the nicest parts about it,” said Cole. “Right now I’m looking at a lot of different schools for journalism and to be able to have that little bit of cushion is terrific.”

Kristy Dekat, journalism adviser at the school has worked with Cole for the past two years. When she found out about the conference and scholarship she knew he needed to apply.

“When I received the information in the mail and was reading over the criteria the first person that popped into my head was Adam,” Dekat said. “This will help him to expand his journalistic experience and further prepare him for journalism at the college level.”

Cole will be in Washington DC June 18-23 for the convention.