“Dear White People” is not racist

Last Wednesday Youtube released a 30 second trailer for the upcoming film, “Dear White People.” Just like any other time white privilege is confronted, there came an enormous backlash from the white community claiming that the movie is racist.

Since the film has yet to come out there is no way to determine if there are racist attacks in it, all we can base our opinions off of is these 30 seconds. In these 30 seconds you see a young black women speaking into a microphone about acceptable Halloween costumes, “Pirate, slutty nurse, any of our first 43 presidents. Top of the list of unacceptable costumes: Me.” The clip then cuts to white women and men dressed in black face. There is no way to fight that acts like that have not taken place all over but most commonly on college campuses.

On November 3, Monique Judge reported through the Root publication that at the Oregon School of Law a professor had attended and dressed in blackface at an off campus party. It surprises communities to see students still taking part in this racist act, but to see an adult mentor acting in such a way is a perfect example of this blatant racism that still persists.

And if you still need more reassurance to understand that the film’s trailer was not racist but in fact very accurate portrayal of current American history then bring yourself to remember when UCLA threw a “Kanye West” themed party back in October of 2015. Of course the party was claimed to have no racist intent but students who attended showed up wearing inappropriate clothing trying to properly represent “black culture.” Not only did people show up in black face but girls stuffed their bottom and breast area with material, wore ripped up and baggy clothing and placed soot on their face.

It does not take a genius to understand that, in fact, white people have taken part in black face. The only racist act here is the one being showed in the film of white people in black face. So before you cancel your subscription to a entertainment company that is allowing a history based movie to be published you might want to step back and look at other historical movies that Netflix has aired that also contain highly offensive or highly real content aimed towards the black community that took part in history.