The official news source of Topeka High School

The Tower

Cole’s Corner: A breath of fresh air

Teacher, caretaker, principal; Rebecca Morrisey is the full package

Adam Cole, Editor-in-Chief

Tomorrow, after first period, students will be lining up outside of their classrooms to watch one of Topeka High’s beloved traditions, Running of the Halls.

Many thought this day would never come though, after a social media post circulating at the beginning of this school year stated that the tradition would be coming to an end at Topeka High.

The post never came to fruition, as it was quickly denied any truth by Topeka High’s principal, Rebecca Morrisey, but many still felt uneasy.

Morrisey, the former principal of Eisenhower Middle School, is in her first year as principal at Topeka High after the retirement of Dr. Linda Wiley.

After a few weeks, it’s safe to say Morrisey and Wiley run things differently. And with changes to the level of enforcement of policies like dress code and tardies, few students are pleased to say the least.

If there’s one thing the Trojan student body needs to do though, it’s this: take a deep breath.

I say that with no disdain or frustrations towards my peers, but with a hope that we can all be a little more cognizant of the full scope of changes going on around Topeka High, particularly that of our new principal and what she’s bringing to the table.

Check out my full interview with Ms. Morrisey in the link above.

Corrections: Ms. Morrisey coached at Rockhurst University, not Community College.

1 Comment

One Response to “Cole’s Corner: A breath of fresh air”

1. Floyd Lager on October 29th, 2016 2:25 pm

Hello Adam,
    As you are probably aware, a few of your fellow students at Topeka High School were featured in a N.Y Times article: Nathan Triggs, TaTy Terria Gary, and Zachary Shaner. They along with millions struggle with decisions after high school: College? Job? vocational training? military, etc.
    I’m retirement age and have gone through many of the various stages of life. I put together the web site, http://www.jobprep.net in an attempt to help high school students in their senior year or later in life to seriously think about their future job/education options .
    I’m sure you will do well in your future years and make good decisions, but many others will not. The reasons are many: poor support system, difficult family life, or just can’t “figure it out.”
    Below is my offer for free access for fifty Topeka High School students to the site. If you know any of the above students and others who might be interested, let them know of the offer. The above three students probably have friends who would be interested. It’s free with no strings attached.
    HERE IS THE OFFER:
    JobPrep.net Free Access
    Fifty Topeka High School students can get FREE ACCESS http://www.jobprep.net during the month of November, 2016. This free offer expires November 30, 2016.
    FREE ACCESS must be made via the CONTACT PAGE on http://www.jobprep.net. Submit: 1.Your name. 2. Email Address. 3. Reason for your interest.
    A user name and password for free access will be emailed to you for immediate access. Free access will end Dec.31, 2016. After completing the course, your evaluation of the course via the contact page would be sincerely appreciated.
    Floyd Lager
    Email: [email protected]
    C. 714-328-0051
    P.S. To those who get free access to Jobprep.net:
    No future purchases are required. The course can be accessed within minutes via PC, laptop, tablet, or smart phone. The site is secured by the latest SHA-256 encryption. Jobprep.net is not affiliated with any other company, school, or any other entity. Your name and email address will remain private.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Cole’s Corner: A breath of fresh air