Football players commit to colleges

Adam Cole

Mike McCoy, senior, cracks a smile before Topeka High football’s National Signing Day event. McCoy was rated the fifth best player in the state by Rivals and garnered attention from schools such as Arkansas, Oklahoma State, and Nebraska.

Every year student-athletes who have excelled throughout high school make the decision to play in college.  On February 3, five students signed their letters of intent to further their athletic and academic careers.

Jacob Anderson, senior, committed to Washburn University and will be playing football for the Ichabods in the fall.

“I chose Washburn because they really had everything I was looking for. People always tell you to choose the place you feel the most comfortable,” Anderson said.

As with any student, there are many factors which go into deciding which college to attend. Some of the bigger issues concerning athletes going to college are generally cost, location, and playing time.

Mike McCoy, senior, also made his decision regarding his future, deciding to attend Kansas State next year.

After my official visit at K-State I just really fell in love with the facilities, and the coaches and players are real nice. It just felt like a family already,” McCoy said.

A major reason McCoy signed with Kansas State was their plan for him to stay on offense rather than switch over to defense.

“I love the offensive side of the ball so it was really important to me that I was able to keep playing there in college,” McCoy said.

The coach of these players, Walt Alexander, has seen them develop from freshmen through their senior year.

“All of these players have grown right in front of our eyes and I’m confident they will do very well,” Alexander said.